David Murray aka The 8-Bit Guy have made possibly the first ever real-time strategy game for the Commodore 64. In this game you control the Terrans on a quest to colonize Planet X2 for future living. The only problem is that the Protoids have beat you to the planet and have already started the colonization process. It’s now your job to destroy their bases and make way for the upcoming colony ships. In order to do this, you must harvest the nearby resources, build factories, tanks and such to fight them off.
Being inspired by other similar RTS games like Dune 2, Warcraft and Starcraft, David has managed to bring much of the magic from those classics to the Commodore platform:
- Runs on a stock Commodore 64 with floppy drive.
- Multi-tasking game, runs up to 128 simultaneous processes.
- Comes in a real box, just like the good old days.
- Includes a professionally produced cassette tape with the soundtrack.
- Purchasers will receive a digital download of the game, manual, and soundtrack.
If you aren’t familiar with the game, I recommend watching this review by Modern Vintage Gamer: